Third-party drives not permitted on Gen 11 servers

Mark Walkom markwalkom at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:35:31 CST 2010

This thread Brandon mentioned earlier explains it a little -
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19314432/19649799.aspx
>From the thread;
*"Yes, while on the surface I don't like the sound of it, the truth is that
"Dell-certified" drives have a special firmware on them that allows them
to respond correctly to advanced requests made by the controllers so that
operation of the machine can be guaranteed.  Having been a technical analyst
for Dell servers, I can tell you that many issues arise from the use of
non-certified drives.  So, while I don't like it, I can understand it.
Besides, Dell doesn't make the drives - they are made the top drive
manufacturers, but in order to guarantee compatibility/reliability, they put
a Dell-specific FW on them.  Just a thought :)"*

Perhaps it's more the cost of the 'official' drives that is the issue here,
maybe Dell can make the prices a bit more reasonable.
I know I'd be happy paying for the drives if they had technical benefits
that weren't offset by stupidly high prices.