OMSA help in unsupported install...

Vanush Misha Paturyan misha at cs.nuim.ie
Fri Feb 5 04:04:13 CST 2010

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:43:19 -0600 Eric Rostetter
<rostetter at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Vanush Misha Paturyan <misha at cs.nuim.ie>:
>
> > I'd start by figuring out how exactly "Access Control" is
> > configured in your snmpd.conf file. Find out what security names
> > you have configured, what access those security names have and if
> > you are using snmpwalk -v 2c -c "public" to walk the tree what does
> > "public" community maps into.
>
> It is a standard setup with the standard read-only public community.
>
> I can snmpwalk the normal mibs fine.  For example, I can smnpwalk the
> "standard" mib names such as system, tcp, hwStorage, etc.
>
> Only when I try to access the OMSA mibs do I get nothing back (no
> error, no data).
>
> That doesn't mean it isn't access, but it does mean at least some
> access is being granted.

So, it's not an access issue then. You've probably done that already,
but can you double-check following:

1. your snmpd.conf file does have "smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1"
2. your snmpd is started WITHOUT "-I -smux" (this is default on Debian
and breaks smuxpeer)(ps ax | grep snmpd shows the parameters for snmpd)
(according to your log files smuxpeer is running so I think answers to
those two are "yes", but just to make sure.... )

following is based on OMSA 5.4, not 5.1 as in your case, but here's
how snmpd and omsa communicate (at least I think that's how)
1. you need dsm_sa_snmp32d, dsm_sa_datamgr32d (and possibly
dsm_sa_eventmgr32d) to be running (ps aux should show them).
2. once you get the PID of dsm_sa_snmp32d run "lsof -p PID" and confirm
that it does have an established TCP IPv4 connection to localhost:smux
(or localhost:199).

To debug snmpd stop your running instance and start it from command
prompt as "/usr/sbin/snmpd -Dsmux -f -Lo -Lf /var/log/snmpd.log -u
root" (this will write output on both screen and in /var/log/snmpd.log
file). You can specify -DALL, see what it generates, and then filter
out things you want to analyse.

And another thing worth checking (if you haven't done it yet): run "ldd
sdm_sa_smnp32d" to see it has all the libraries it needs. You haven't
told yet if your Linux is 32 or 64 bit. OMSA is 32bit so on 64bit
versions it needs bunch of 32bit libraries.

Misha.

--
Vanush "Misha" Paturyan
Senior Technical Officer