R210 / L3426 power consumption figures - 40w idle!

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Thu Feb 4 12:33:54 CST 2010

John Hodrien wrote:
> So to be even more demanding, how does it compare with the self monitoring
> output on your server? I'd really like to know how much I can believe
> the figures.
>
> # omreport chassis pwrmonitoring
> Power Consumption Information

Robin Bowes noted:
> When I try this I get:
>
> Error : Current probes not found
>
> (see the thread I started entitled "No power consumption data via SNMP")

Tim Small replies:
> I just used ipmitool, and ipmievd (which installs in seconds on Debian,
> and I also use on Intel, HP, Tyan and IBM chassis), but that didn't
> report any power or current consumption figures - although fields were
> present in the IPMI Sensor Data Records, the BMC didn't produce any
> figures - I'd guess this is either not supported on this server, or not
> available with the base config.

You can get power statistics from ipmitool with delloem support, e.g.
ipmitool delloem powermonitor powerconsumptionhistory.  I realize this
tends to fall in the category of a vendor-proprietary tool, but at least
you can get a source RPM for this and build it on other systems and/or
"unsupported" OS'es.  I have built a version of this that runs just fine
on an R610 RHEL 5.4 system:

> # ipmitool delloem powermonitor powerconsumptionhistory
> Power consumption history
>
> last minute average power : 102  W
> last hour average power   : 103  W
> last day average power    : 104  W
> last week average power   : 103  W
> last minute peak power    : 120  W
> last hour peak power      : 132  W
> last day peak power       : 165  W
> last week peak power      : 169  W
>
> last minute peak power time   : Thu Feb  4 11:32:01 2010
>
> last hour peak power time     : Thu Feb  4 10:05:43 2010
>
> last day peak power time      : Thu Feb  4 03:28:53 2010
>
> last week peak power time     : Tue Feb  2 04:01:33 2010

On an R210, the iDRAC6 is optional, and with the default BMC,  I'm not
sure if these statistics would be available - on a 9th generation 1950 I
get:

 # ipmitool delloem powermonitor
 Error getting power management information: Command not supported on
this system.

and although a 10th generation 1950-III system does report some information:

# ipmitool delloem powermonitor
Power Tracking Statistics
Statistic                  : Energy Consumption
Measurement Start Time     : Wed Dec 16 08:45:15 2009
Measurement Finish Time    : Thu Feb  4 13:24:44 2010
Reading                    : 257.4 kWh

Statistic                  : System Peak Power
Measurement Start Time     : Wed Dec 16 08:45:15 2009
Peak Time                  : Fri Aug 28 23:35:12 2009
Peak Reading               : 222 W

Statistic                  : System Peak Amperage
Measurement Start Time     : Wed Dec 16 08:45:15 2009
Peak Time                  : Sat Jan  2 14:57:51 2010
Peak  Reading              : 1.8 A

the immediate and historical data are not available:

# ipmitool delloem powermonitor powerconsumptionhistory
  Error getting average power consumption history data: Unknown (0x80)
  Error getting peak power consumption history data: Unknown (0x80)
# ipmitool delloem powermonitor powerconsumption

Power consumption information
  Error getting instantaneous power consumption data: Command not
supported on this system.
Warning threshold       : 820 W
Failure threshold       : 872 W

 Error getting power headroom status: Command not supported on this system

Amperage value: 1187.2 A

Anyhow, if anyone is interested, I'd be glad to send them my RHEL5.4
SRPM for ipmitool + delloem.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com