R210 BIOS SoL setup not-intuitive etc.

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 06:27:55 CST 2010

Hello,

Whilst I think of it setting up the SoL is pretty unintuitive on the
R200 as well.  SoL only works on serial2, but nothing in the BIOS or BMC
setup tells you this, and it's not the default BIOS serial port setting
when you enable redirection (even if you have previously enabled SoL in
the BMC configuration utility).

Although this is documented in the manual, I think the BIOS setup
screens could really do with being fixed to communicate this info (just
saying "serial 2/SoL" instead of "serial 2" would be a big improvement,
and would seem to be a simple fix).

Similarly, you can't configure IPMI over LAN to use the LOM2 port
(unless LOM1 has it's link down) - it sounds tome like the hardware
would support this mode of operation, but there is no option to
configure the BMC for this behaviour.

Overall these are minor niggles, tho', and I'm impressed with the
quality/value/features of the R200.

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.