R210 / L3426 power consumption figures - 40w idle!

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 06:26:38 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Tim Small wrote:

> Don't think I can help you there, I'm afraid - I didn't install omreport
> - I administer a variety of different manufacturer's systems, so like to
> avoid vendor-proprietary tools (in general, I've found them to be
> difficult to install, flakey, and generally more trouble than they were
> worth)...

I'm with you on that.

> I just used ipmitool, and ipmievd (which installs in seconds on Debian,
> and I also use on Intel, HP, Tyan and IBM chassis), but that didn't
> report any power or current consumption figures - although fields were
> present in the IPMI Sensor Data Records, the BMC didn't produce any
> figures - I'd guess this is either not supported on this server, or not
> available with the base config.

I guess as suggested on list, those models don't produce the data.  As a
comparison, an R610 gives:

Current 1        | 94h | ok  | 10.1 | 0.28 Amps
Current 2        | 95h | ok  | 10.2 | 0.28 Amps
Voltage 1        | 96h | ok  | 10.1 | 236 Volts
Voltage 2        | 97h | ok  | 10.2 | 236 Volts
System Level     | 98h | ok  |  7.1 | 119 Watts

But I'm suspicious that the figures are inaccurate (as I've not had a way of
testing externally), and also that there's a lack of precision (as they've
appeared very discretised).

jh