R210 / L3426 power consumption figures - 40w idle!

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 05:45:14 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Tim Small wrote:

>> Interesting to see posted.  Just for info, what are you using to measure the
>> power usage?
>>

> Sorry I'd meant to include that in the original post - nothing
> particularly special, the - fairly similar spec'ed, I believe - previous
> model of this device:
>
> http://navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=339&catID=67
>
> Fairly cheap and cheerful, but I checked it with a good-quality
> calibrated volt meter, and current clamp (on a resistive load) when I
> got it a couple of years ago, and although I can't remember the exact
> results, the accuracy seemed pretty good at the time.  The model I have
> gives Hz, Volts, Amps, VA, Watts and Power Factor (not sure what method
> of PF calculation).

Lovely.

So to be even more demanding, how does it compare with the self monitoring
output on your server?  I'd really like to know how much I can believe the
figures.

For interest, here's the output on an idle R610 2xE5520 8x2Gbyte 6x300Gbyte 10k
SAS:

# omreport chassis pwrmonitoring
Power Consumption Information

Power Consumption
Index             : 2
Status            : Ok
Probe Name        : System Board System Level
Reading           : 119 W
Warning Threshold : 917 W
Failure Threshold : 966 W

Amperage
Location : PS 1 Current 1
Reading  : 0.2 A

Location : PS 2 Current 2
Reading  : 0.2 A

Power Headroom
Attribute : System Instantaneous Headroom
Value     : 512 W

Attribute : System Peak Headroom
Value     : 341 W

Power Tracking Statistics
Statistic               : Energy Consumption
Measurement Start Time  : Fri May 15 11:20:18 2009
Measurement Finish Time : Thu Feb  4 11:43:22 2010
Reading                 : 973.1 KWh

Statistic              : System Peak Power
Measurement Start Time : Thu May  7 21:20:18 2009
Peak Time              : Mon Nov 16 13:23:07 2009
Peak Reading           : 289 W

Statistic              : System Peak Amperage
Measurement Start Time : Thu May  7 21:20:18 2009
Peak Time              : Sun Nov  8 11:53:59 2009
Peak Reading           : 1.3 A

jh