Debian Lenny on R610 with PERC 6/i

Rob Heilman rheilman at echolabs.net
Tue Feb 2 15:50:45 CST 2010

Thank you for the reminder about the USC.  Even though it said I was up to date on all my code levels (including BIOS 1.3.6), I let it run a full platform update.  After the update Lenny is now able get to the Grub menu.

It looks like the drive orders are being changed/manipulated a bit between install and first boot as that I am getting Grub "Error 15" messages.  A manual edit of the Grub menu easily fixes that.  In my case changing hd(1,0) to hd(0,0) and /dev/sdbX to /dev/sdaX (where X is the partition number) lets me get to single user mode where I can update the fstab and menu.lst.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

-Rob Heilman