Debian Lenny on R610 with PERC 6/i

ROUSSEL Kévin Kevin.Roussel at loria.fr
Tue Feb 2 04:34:11 CST 2010

rheilman at echolabs.net a écrit :
> I have dumbed down the config to just root, swap, and home on primary
> partitons.  It still hangs immediately after the DRAC.  Any other ideas?
>
> I am going to grab Ubuntu and SuSE iso's just to test.  Unfortunately
> the app  developer we are working with insists on Debian Lenny.  While
> I do like Debian it never has been a great choice for "new" hardware
> configs...
>
> Rob Heilman via mobile

Well, I have three R610 servers running Debian Lenny, with PERC6/i.

In my configuration, only '/boot' is on its primary ext2 partition, all
the other ones ('/', '/usr', and so on) is on LVM.

First question: are your firmwares up to date. I think especially to the
PERC6 firmware, and the BIOS. I knew I had problems with my servers,
until I upgraded the BIOS to version 1.2.6. If you have BIOS version
1.1.4 or earlier, upgrading it could tremendously improve your situation.

Reminder: on the last gen. servers, you can upgrade your firmwares
without booting any OS by pressing F10 during the startup sequence...
See http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Lifecycle+Controller for the details.

Apart from that, the only big difference I can see between your
configuration and mine, is that I use the PERC6/i do hardware RAID level
1 (mirroring)...

If the firmware versions are not the problem, and while you seem to be
able to reconfigure your machine from scratch, could you try to
configure your system with RAID-1 arrays (or even no RAID at all) to see
if it eases things ?

HTH,
--

      Kévin Roussel