R410's shipped out with BIOS showing 4 cores instead of 8

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 1 11:27:55 CST 2010

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> I dried dmidecode but cannot figure out the exact setting line I need.

Rahul,

FWIW,  this will give you an indication of the settings of the
system's core enabled status & Symmetric Multi-Threading (SMT)/
HyperThreading (HT) settings

# dmidecode -t processor |egrep '(Socket Des|Version|Core|Thread)'
        Socket Designation: CPU1
        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5550  @ 2.67GHz
        Core Count: 4
        Core Enabled: 4
        Thread Count: 8
        Socket Designation: CPU2
        Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5550  @ 2.67GHz
        Core Count: 4
        Core Enabled: 4
        Thread Count: 8

This shows two sockets, each with X5550 cpus, all cores (4)
enabled on each and SMT enabled (twice as many threads as cores)

For Windows:

C:\> WMIC CPU Get Name, NumberOfCores, NumberOfLogicalProcessors /format:list

Name=Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
NumberOfCores=4
NumberOfLogicalProcessors=4

These obviously can't be used to set/change the values, use sysdtk or
activateCmosToken, as Tim Small says.

--stephen