R410's shipped out with BIOS showing 4 cores instead of 8

Tino Schwarze linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de
Mon Feb 1 11:08:12 CST 2010

Hi Robert,

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 06:02:10PM +0100, Robert von Bismarck wrote:

[...]
> >  R410's R710 and R510 all are doing this currently (says my TAM).
> >
> > I can't say why but I was told it's a "feature" not a "bug".
> > Very non-intuitive to me. I can't see why an 8 core server
> > defaulting to 4 core makes sense.....
> >

> We got two R410 exhibiting the same "feature" here.
> It's probably a "feature" for some alternative OS's that require
> licensing on a per-core basis.
> For higher performance, is it better to have two quad-core acting as
> dual-core processors due to bios setting, or one quad-core ?

I suppose, the only valid answer is: Do your own benchmarks. It depends
on such a lot of factors (data locality, hardware architecture details,
cache coherency, bus contention etc. pp) that you simply cannot predict
how your particular application will perform.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de