Andrew Robert Nicols andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
Fri Aug 27 03:29:59 CDT 2010

On 27 August 2010 09:18, Andrew Robert Nicols <andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk>wrote:

> On 26 August 2010 18:26, Nick Stephens <nick at ceiva.com> wrote:
>
>> I am very interested in ZFS, but it seems like it will never make it (in
>> a stable fashion) into the linux world at this rate.
>>

> We're primarily a Debian shop but we've dabbled with ZFS. It's really
> pretty good and it's fault tolerance is really reassuring.
> I'd avoid OpenSolaris though - since Oracle took over shop, active
> development on it has all  but stopped. Solaris 10 is actually pretty
> reasonable these days. There should be a new release out in the next 2 weeks
> from what I recall.

Some other notes I meant to make in my original reply:

Our current architecture comprises of an automated system to transfer
snapshots from our live server to a secondary server in a second data
centre. We perform our backups from the secondary server to reduce potential
load on the primary at peak times so we need to be able to read from the
secondary.
We did try using GFS, and OCFS2 on top of DRBD on a RAID60 configuration on
these X4500s but they weren't stable enough for our needs - DRBD couldn't
cope with the load.
EXT3/4 and XFS weren't suitable as they don't allow for transfer of the data
to another host (whilst still being able to read from the seconary for
backups).

Andrew

--
Systems Developer

e: andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
im: a.nicols at jabber.lancs.ac.uk
t: +44 (0)1524 5 10147

Lancaster University Network Services is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered number: 04311892. Registered office:
University House, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YW