Buchan Milne bgmilne at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 03:25:56 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Nick Stephens <nick at ceiva.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently purchased a PE610 with a PERC6 card attached to an MD1000
> with about 26TB of space.

How soon do you need to put this into production?

>  I know from my own research that ext4
> supports up to an exabyte, however it appears that the e2fs team has not
> yet created a mkfs.ext4 that supports anything bigger than 16TB.
>
> I have played with XFS in the past, and sadly it's performance is
> severely lacking for our environment, so it is not an option.
>
> I am very interested in ZFS, but it seems like it will never make it (in
> a stable fashion) into the linux world at this rate.
>
> Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this scenario?  I am utilizing
> RHEL5 based installations, btw.

If you can afford to either:
-Wait for RHEL6
-Run a RHEL6 beta

then you may also want to consider using btrfs (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs)

In case you *really* need a single 26TB filesystem, btrfs offers significant
advantages over ext4, especially online fsck, subvolumes, subvolume
snapshots etc.

Regards,
Buchan