>16tb filesystems on linux

Nick Stephens nick at ceiva.com
Thu Aug 26 12:26:19 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I recently purchased a PE610 with a PERC6 card attached to an MD1000
with about 26TB of space.  I know from my own research that ext4
supports up to an exabyte, however it appears that the e2fs team has not
yet created a mkfs.ext4 that supports anything bigger than 16TB.

I have played with XFS in the past, and sadly it's performance is
severely lacking for our environment, so it is not an option.

I am very interested in ZFS, but it seems like it will never make it (in
a stable fashion) into the linux world at this rate.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this scenario?  I am utilizing
RHEL5 based installations, btw.

Thanks!
Nick