Problem setting the BIOS in a PowerEdge server.

Michael Tiernan mtiernan at mit.edu
Wed Aug 25 09:29:44 CDT 2010

I've got some Dell 2950s and R710s that I've been trying to perform
setups on and I'm seeing the same error someone else reported when
trying to set the serial communications settings:
   # omconfig chassis biossetup attribute=serialcom setting=onwithconsole
    Error! BIOS setting failed.

Most of the other settings work fine (I'm working through them one by
one to make a standard set for my machines) but this one keeps failing.

I've tried doing it in different orders (setting the serial info) and no
combination has yet worked.

Is this a known bug?
Does anyone else use this without any problems?

   <<  MCT>>    Michael C Tiernan.   xmpp:mtiernan at mit.edu
   MIT - Laboratory for Nuclear Science - http://www.lns.mit.edu
   High Perf Research Computing Facility at The Bates Linear Accelerator
   "Bit-smashing your bits better than anyone can!"