Dell OpenManage 6.3 for Ubuntu

Johan Sjöberg johan.sjoberg at deltamanagement.se
Mon Aug 23 09:05:27 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 01:57:25PM -0500, Michael E Brown scribbled

 in "Re: Dell OpenManage 6.3 for Ubuntu":

> > Thanks Michael, and thanks Dell (official or not ;)

> > Any chance of a similar set for real Debian?

> I really hope the ubuntu packages just work on Debian. If you care

> to try it and report back results, that would be great.

> Theoretically, native deb pkgs shouldnt be terribly difficult, now

> that we have the actual packaging done. It will have to be kind of a

> side project with no guarantees, though. I'll look into it.

First, sorry about not maintaining the headers, I did not subscribe so I had no message to reply to.

I have tried installing the Ubuntu OMSA packages on Debian, and unfortunately there are are som problems.

First I tried to install it on an ordinary Debian Lenny, but some dependency versions are too high (libxml2 and libstdc++). It also depends on libsmbios-utils, which is not available for Debian, as far as I can tell.

I then tried to install it on Debian testing (Squeeze). On that version, it was only the libsmbios-utils package that stopped me from installing.

Does anyone know if and how I can get the libsmbios-utils package on Debian? Do I need to download the Ubuntu deb and install it manually?

So it seems like some modification is needed to get the packages to work on Debian. Does it really need those new versions of libstdc++ and libxml2, or is that because it was built on an Ubuntu 10.04 machine? I can't imagine those versions are available on RHEL (which I suppose the packages are converted from). It would also be nice if it worked for older versions of Ubuntu.

I also had some problems with the meta packages, it seems like it does not automatically install its dependencies, I had to manually list all packages. This happened both on Debian and Ubuntu (9.04).

---------------

apt-get install srvadmin-base

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

or been moved out of Incoming.

  srvadmin-base: Depends: srvadmin-omacore but it is not going to be installed

                 Depends: srvadmin-storage but it is not going to be installed

                 Depends: srvadmin-storage-populator but it is not going to be installed

E: Broken packages

/Johan