external ESATA drives in a R610

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 05:46:37 CDT 2010

On 19/08/10 22:50, Bond Masuda wrote:

> ave you actually tested hot plugging a eSATA drive from a controller based
> on a Silicon Image chip that also has a PCI-E to PCI-X bridge?

Nope.

> i have one
> such card, which works as long as I don't hot plug. if I do hot plug, I get
> a machine check and instant shutdown/restart...

Not seen anything like that myself, sounds like that might be an
electrical issue, or a design fault on that card maybe?  If you still
have access to that setup - maybe try connecting ground on the drive
chassis, and the PE first...  Were you able to decode the machine-check?

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.