external ESATA drives in a R610

Bond Masuda bond.masuda at jlbond.com
Thu Aug 19 16:50:34 CDT 2010

> The Sil3132s work well, but have somewhat limited throughput (300M per
> second each I think), but this may not be an issue to you depending on
> your application.  The Sil3124s may be a bit better they are 4 port
> chips, and although this is a PCI-X chipset you can find
> implementations
> which put them behind a PCIe to PCIX bridge chip - have a look on ebay
> or elsewhere, they are around $70 or so, I think.

Hi Tim,

have you actually tested hot plugging a eSATA drive from a controller based
on a Silicon Image chip that also has a PCI-E to PCI-X bridge? i have one
such card, which works as long as I don't hot plug. if I do hot plug, I get
a machine check and instant shutdown/restart... might be unique to my
setup.. this was on older PE2900-III.

thanks for sharing your experience...
-Bond