external ESATA drives in a R610

Bond Masuda bond.masuda at jlbond.com
Thu Aug 19 02:39:23 CDT 2010

In my experience, the controllers with Silicon Image chipsets provide the
best support for eSATA hotplugging. The driver is already in the kernel of
RHEL. Beware that trying to convert one of the internal SATA to eSATA may
not work; some of the SATA controllers by Intel don't implement the hotplug
capability and will lock up the system with a bus reset. I learned this the
hard way and after much research found that the Silicon Image controllers
were more capable. I think, going from memory from a couple of years ago, I
used the Sil3132 chip based controller.

-Bond