external ESATA drives in a R610

Nataraj incoming-dell-lists at rjl.com
Wed Aug 18 17:45:21 CDT 2010

I'm interested in adding hotplug ESATA capability with port multiplier
for backup purposes to something like an R610.   Is this supported by
any of the Dell external SAS controllers (don't need raid for this).
The machine would already be running SAS disks for it's primary internal
disks.

Would these controllers use the AHCI or another of the better performing
drivers included with Redhat?

I've also considered various external ESATA cards, but I'm unsure which
ones might work well with Redhat in a poweredge.  I would prefer to stay
away from drivers provided by the card manufacturer.

A 4 port x8 card would be nice.  I found a few of the following silicon
image based cards which would be great if they worked with the
sata_sil24 driver, but I have no way of knowing in advance which driver
will load.   Any other suggestions are welcome.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/DAT%20Optic/ESATAPCIE8/
This one seems to be a raid version of the one above, but I prefer
non-hardware raid for data archival purposes.
http://www.datoptic.com/four-esata-pci-express.html

http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gpx8-4em.asp

Thank you,
Nataraj