seeing BIOS from ipmi?

Barnaby Gray barnaby at artirix.com
Thu Aug 12 03:39:57 CDT 2010

On 11/08/10 20:30, Dave Sparks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a new Dell R610 in a data centre halfway around the world.  Someone local to the box installed Ubuntu lucid on it and left it without configuring IPMI.  Using ipmitool I have configured IPMI to work with chassis commands, etc and the remote console (sol activate) also works.  However when rebooting the remote console doesn't show the bios screen when booting.
>
> Is there a configuration step I missed?

You need to redirect the console output via the sol com port. You can do
this within linux using the dtk. It's an iso that you're meant to boot,
but you can unpack it and with some trickery run it:

$ wget ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/dtk_3.3_218_Linux.iso
$ sudo mkdir -p /mnt/iso
$ sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop dtk_3.3_218_Linux.iso /mnt/iso

You may not need to install these rpms if you've OMSA already:
$ sudo rpm -Uvh
/mnt/iso/tools/openipmi/RPMS/srvadmin-ipmi-6.0.0-207.rhel5.i386.rpm
(or the relevant one for your distro)
$ sudo rpm -Uvh /mnt/iso/tools/{srvadmin-hapi*,srvadmin-omilcore*}

You may need to copy the omreg.cfg from /mnt/iso/tools to /etc - take
care to backup the one OMSA installs.

$ mkdir /tmp/dell
$ cd /tmp/dell
$ tar zxvf /mnt/iso/tools/dell.tar.gz
$ cd toolkit/bin
$ sudo ./syscfg --serialcomm=com2cr --conterm=ansi --conboot=enable
--fsbr=57600

Think that's all!

regards,

Barnaby