DRAC firmware RPM improperly labelled

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 12:17:40 CDT 2010

 I ran into a problem with the latest release of OM 6.3, I noticed that
the firmware packages for the DRACs were not being updated on systems
that already had the package installed, but were being installed with a
newer version of the payload on fresh installs.

Let me try and break that down into an example. I have a system that I
had previously installed OM 6.2 on and installed all the firmware
packages, the firmware version for the DRAC 6 package was 1.30 as you
can see here:

Name        : iDRAC6_componentid_20137_for_system_ven_0x1028_dev_0x0235
Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : a02                               Vendor: Dell
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Thu 28 Jan 2010
12:42:25 PM MST
Install Date: Wed 07 Jul 2010 01:36:26 PM MDT      Build Host:
localhost.localdomain
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
iDRAC6_componentid_20137_for_system_ven_0x1028_dev_0x0235-a02-1.src.rpm
Size        : 41670759                         License: Proprietary
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 28 Jan 2010 02:39:05 PM MST, Key ID
e74433e25e3d7775
Summary     : iDRAC6 firmware update payload package
Description :
This package contains Firmware for iDRAC6.
The Dell version of this firmware is a02
The vendor version of this firmware is 1.30

When OM 6.3 came out the firmware packages were updated, but this
particular system didn't download a new version of the DRAC firmware
even though there was a new version (1.50) available. However, upon
installing OM 6.3 on a new system and installing the firmware packages,
this was the version of the DRAC firmware installed:

Name        : iDRAC6_componentid_20137_for_system_ven_0x1028_dev_0x0235
Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : a02                               Vendor: Dell
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Tue 06 Jul 2010
02:49:58 PM EDT
Install Date: Thu 05 Aug 2010 10:26:53 AM EDT      Build Host:
localhost.localdomain
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
iDRAC6_componentid_20137_for_system_ven_0x1028_dev_0x0235-a02-1.src.rpm
Size        : 53519283                         License: Proprietary
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 06 Jul 2010 04:40:56 PM EDT, Key ID
e74433e25e3d7775
Summary     : iDRAC6 firmware update payload package
Description :
This package contains Firmware for iDRAC6.
The Dell version of this firmware is a02
The vendor version of this firmware is 1.50

I believe, though I am no RPM expert, that the issue lies in the fact
that the RPM version number is the same for both packages (as is the
release number), as you can see from the above queries. So even though
there is a newer version of the DRAC firmware available in the repo, the
RPM is labelled with the same version number and as such yum (or
up2date) will not download and install that package.

There are two solutions to this problem that I can think of, one you can
run a yum reinstall of the DRAC packages as an interim solution, or, and
this is what should be done for sure, Dell needs to bump the version
number on this package. I just hope this same problem is not existent in
other firmware packages.

-Erinn