idrac firmware update on R710, can't connect to idrac now

Raghavendra_Biligiri at Dell.com Raghavendra_Biligiri at Dell.com
Mon Aug 9 07:57:26 CDT 2010

The idrac firmware in the box on which the issue is seen (before the
update) was pretty old but even then we don't delete the private store
area (where network configuration is stored) unless and until it is
forced ; the default address for the box is 192.168.0.120 ; if you can
access this address then it is possible for you to access the DRAC
remotely or else probably you will need to manually configure the box
according to your requirement.

Thanks ,
Raghavendra. B

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Jefferson Ogata
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 1:39 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: idrac firmware update on R710, can't connect to idrac now

On 2010-08-06 20:04, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:
>> But, I'm still not getting any pings, nor can I connect to the web,
or
>> via ssh. Any other ideas? Do I just have to bite the bullet and try
>> power cycling it?
>
> I'm also assuming that "ipmitool chassis power cycle" does an
> immediate power cycle, i.e. it doesn't call shutdown first? I could
> also try a warm boot first to see if that fixes the idrac. Has anyone
> experienced the same issue, i.e. is the idrac supposed to stop working
> after an update until a cold/warm boot ?

"ipmitool chassis power cycle" will, as you say, immediately power cycle

the main system. It won't necessarily reset the iDRAC if that's wedged
somehow. The way to do that is to actually pull all physical power to
the system for some time between 30 seconds and a few minutes.

A regular reboot is at least worth a shot.