idrac firmware update on R710, can't connect to idrac now

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Fri Aug 6 15:09:09 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-06 20:04, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:
>> But, I'm still not getting any pings, nor can I connect to the web, or
>> via ssh. Any other ideas? Do I just have to bite the bullet and try
>> power cycling it?
>
> I'm also assuming that "ipmitool chassis power cycle" does an
> immediate power cycle, i.e. it doesn't call shutdown first? I could
> also try a warm boot first to see if that fixes the idrac. Has anyone
> experienced the same issue, i.e. is the idrac supposed to stop working
> after an update until a cold/warm boot ?

"ipmitool chassis power cycle" will, as you say, immediately power cycle
the main system. It won't necessarily reset the iDRAC if that's wedged
somehow. The way to do that is to actually pull all physical power to
the system for some time between 30 seconds and a few minutes.

A regular reboot is at least worth a shot.