IPMI

Stewart St. Dennis sstdennis at zaxia.com
Fri Aug 6 11:00:31 CDT 2010

Brian:
We are using Nagios to monitor our 1850's and 2900's (a dozen or so machines running Ubuntu or FreeeBSD).  It took me quite a while to get my mind around all of the ways that things could be done and what would work for us.

I started working seriously with Nagios in March, and, working around other demands on my time, I am pretty happy with the results. For each node, we do proactive is-alive, health, and performance checks and have SNMP traps configured for reactive issue capture. We use public services (ping, http, etc.), snmp queries, and nrpe based local plugins to do many of the checks.  We use OMSA for the is-alive check and to capture issues and transmit (via SNMP traps) things like RAID degradation info.  We are using NagiosGrapher to do all of the graphing (temperature, network usage, disk usage, load, etc.).  As well, I am monitoring cluster quorum. As one of the "cool" things, each OMSA enabled node has a link in Nagios to the OMSA page, so drill-down-to-detail is one click away when you look at a host issue.

Nagios, with the solid architecture and rich pool of plug-ins/add-ons is very powerful and flexible.  However, this is a noteable learning curve to "get it right".

HTH

Stewart