For you other Linux "recyclers" out there

Steve Jenkins stevej at cheatcodes.com
Thu Aug 5 09:25:02 CDT 2010

For those of you like to "recycle" your old servers, I just did a
successfully netinstall of CentOS 5.5 (32-bit) on an old PowerEdge 2450.
X runs fine (monitor refresh rate was wonky until I updated X-server
with yum), as does everything else. Over the past decade, we've replaced
our 2450s with 2550s, then 2650s, then 2850s, and now we run 2950s. But
the 2450s were actually the most reliable of the bunch... and it's nice
to see they can still serve a purpose. As long as that purpose isn't
memory or processor intensive. J

Steve