Poweredge cd dvd combo drive dual layer compatible?

dellpoweredge at semantico.com dellpoweredge at semantico.com
Wed Aug 4 05:49:57 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I was wanting to get our dc to run the firmware updates on one of our
servers.

It now comes as a dual layer disk:-

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R271724

I was trying to work out what the capabilities of the drive but it all
seems to be masked:-

cdrecord -checkdrive -prcap -inq
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c    1.83
04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'Dell    '
Identifikation : 'Virtual  CDROM  '
Revision       : '123 '
Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.

Otherwise is there another split download of the catalog and the Dell
Server Update Utility on 2 DVDS's ?

g.