R710/PERC H700/H800/MD1200 disk naming

Bond Masuda bond.masuda at jlbond.com
Tue Aug 3 10:38:12 CDT 2010

There's some truth to that, as far as "imaging" scenarios for backups.
Using 'dd' is never an issue and is always an option for imaging
purposes; just not elegant or ideal. But, "new" imaging tools now
understand LVM. E.g.,

http://partimage-ng.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

In the ideal situation, the file system, software RAID, and LVM2 should
all be collapsed into a single layer. It's already a bit silly that the
software RAID and LVM2 are completely separate layers (that overlap a
bit) in Linux. If ZFS or something like it (Btrfs?) becomes mainstream
in Linux, a lot of this unnecessary complexity will be a thing of the
past.... and your pre-historic IS degree will be from 35 yrs ago ;-P

-Bond