R710/PERC H700/H800/MD1200 disk naming

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Tue Aug 3 10:07:41 CDT 2010

On Tue, August 3, 2010 09:41, Dameon Wagner wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:19:53PM +0100, John Hodrien scribbled in "Re:
> R710/PERC H700/H800/MD1200 disk naming":
>> LVM merely gives you options that you don't have without it.  It's
>> really not a pain; treat it simply and there's really very little to
>> it.  There's times I am annoyed by a lack of LVM on machines because I
>> find it handy to use what LVM can offer me, but it's too late.  There
>> aren't times I find the inverse to be the case.

Not an overriding argument, but I've found the inverse to be the case in
imaging scenarios.  It's simple to backup/restore /dev/sdax from a
partition image, /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVolxx not so much.  OTOH you
can snapshot LVMs without having to unmount them.  But I'm a dinosaur with
an IS degree from 30 years ago, and my mind just wraps around physical
partition scenarios better.