R710/PERC H700/H800/MD1200 disk naming

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 06:19:53 CDT 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Robin Bowes wrote:

> On 03/08/10 11:46, Stroller wrote:
>> On 2 Aug 2010, at 22:11, Ken Nishimura wrote:
>>> I assume that making a few large virtual disks (mostly segregated
>>> by disk type and enclosure location) and using LVM to slice and dice
>>> is the way to go?
>> I find the thought horrifying. I choose servers like the PowerEdge
>> because they have hardware RAID. LVM would seem, as a wild
>> generalisation, to undermine that.
> Not at all.
>
> You still have your hardware RAID, but you can manage volumes and usage
> more easily on top if it. Much easier than using physical partitions.

I couldn't agree more, and I think this is really important to stress.

LVM merely gives you options that you don't have without it.  It's really not
a pain; treat it simply and there's really very little to it.  There's times I
am annoyed by a lack of LVM on machines because I find it handy to use what
LVM can offer me, but it's too late.  There aren't times I find the inverse to
be the case.

Combine LVM with iSCSI and you really can have some serious fun that you'd
never even think of if you're not in that mindset.

jh