R710/PERC H700/H800/MD1200 disk naming

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 05:46:14 CDT 2010

On 2 Aug 2010, at 22:11, Ken Nishimura wrote:
> ... I think I will go with LVM.  It has some nice other properties
> as well.

That seems to add complexity, relative to:

$ cat /etc/fstab | grep LABEL
LABEL=boot              /boot           ext2
noauto,noatime  1 2
LABEL=/                 /               ext4
noatime         0 1
LABEL=swap              none            swap
sw              0 0
LABEL=space             /mnt/space      ext4
noatime         0 3
$

I believe DeadRat may allow you to use labels in GRUB, too.

> I assume that making a few large virtual disks (mostly segregated
> by disk type and enclosure location) and using LVM to slice and dice
> is the way to go?

I find the thought horrifying. I choose servers like the PowerEdge
because they have hardware RAID. LVM would seem, as a wild
generalisation, to undermine that.

Stroller.