R710/PERC H700/H800/MD1200 disk naming

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 16:01:09 CDT 2010

Jefferson Cowart wrote:
> The recommendations I've seen are to avoid using /dev/sdx for exactly this reason. Instead you can use either file system labels or otherwise persistent names generated by udev based on parameters that won't change.

Another (better?) solution is to use LVM logical volumes for your
filesystems - the kernel scans all relevant storage at startup and
identifies LVM PVs and reads their metadata from them, so even if the
underlying device names/locations change, everything still "just
works."  (/boot, which cannot be LVM, is another issue, but GRUB's
access to that is typically mediated by the BIOS, which is at least a
little less likely to renumber things the way the Linux kernel does...)

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com