Dell Poweredge R210 and R410 sata/sas controllers

Oliver Sterzel oliver.sterzel at advantage-interactive.com
Fri Apr 30 05:55:31 CDT 2010

Hi

I have a query regarding linux drivers for the S300 sas controller on
the R410 servers and the S100 sata controllers on the R210's.

I'm having a problem getting drivers for both of these controllers.

We require a combination of centos 5, ubuntu 9/10 and debian lenny
on these servers and I am unable to get the following configurations
working.

On the R210's with the S100 controllers, centos 5 is only able to pick
up the disks if we set the SATA to ATA mode in the bios AHCI mode does
not work and as I understand from checking linux.dell.com there do not
appear to be drivers to support this. Are you aware of any drivers or would
we be forced to set these to ATA in order to get this distribution to work.
The setup of the centos machine is:

Standard centos 5.4 - kernel: 2.6.18-164.el5
The device picked up from lspci is:
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller [0104]: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak SATA
RAID Controller [8086:3b25] (rev 05)

----

One the R410 servers using S300 SAS controllers from googling around it
appears that there are no drivers for this controller on linux for any
distributions.

The configuration I am testing this on is Debian lenny with a customer
2.6.33-2 kernel,
the latest stable on from kernel.org.
lspci just returns the following for the raid controller:
02:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Dell Device [1028:0016] (rev 08)

dmidecode returns:
Handle 0x2902, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Unknown Type
        Header and Data:
                29 0B 02 29 01 8A 04 00 00 02 00
        Strings:
                Integrated SAS

As I understand it most of S300 controllers use the megaraid_sas module,
are you aware
of any drivers that could be used to get this functioning or would it be
possible to add the pci
id's into this driver to get it to pick it up.

Any help you could offer with these problems would be greatly
appreciated as we require linux
on all of these machines and it appears that there are only drivers for
windows systems which
is a bit of a problem for us.

Regards
Oliver Sterzel