PE2950, LSI SAS -> SATA very slow

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 03:04:06 CDT 2010

Adam Nielsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a PowerEdge 2950 with an "LSISAS1068E" controller, hooked up to
> two Seagate 1TB SATA disks.  For some reason the performance of these
> disks is quite poor - I'm lucky to get over 10MB/sec from them, when I
> should be getting closer to 100MB/sec.

I've seen flaky/unpredictable performance with these LSI controllers.
Also some Seagate 1TB drives have performance bugs which affect
sequential reads - so you could try using alternative drive firmwares,
as the bug seems to have been fixed in the non-Dell firmware (see my
recent posts to this list - still no response from Dell on this issue!).

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.