PE2950, LSI SAS -> SATA very slow

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 30 01:29:28 CDT 2010

Hi all,

We have a PowerEdge 2950 with an "LSISAS1068E" controller, hooked up to
two Seagate 1TB SATA disks.  For some reason the performance of these
disks is quite poor - I'm lucky to get over 10MB/sec from them, when I
should be getting closer to 100MB/sec.

Having recently had a bad experience with one of Dell's SATA RAID
controllers (of which I wasn't the only one), I'm wondering whether this
is going to be a repeat of that?  Does anyone have a SAS controller
similar to this with SATA disks?  Does it also suffer poor throughput or
is it just me?

Thanks,
Adam.