vmware esxi open manage

Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com Patrick_Fischer at Dell.com
Thu Apr 29 01:29:23 CDT 2010

I don't get the ESXi green in ITA. It is listed under the category
VMware ESX Servers, but without the Health State (grey and with a
question mark only)

I know that you can configure SNMP per remote CLI to receive the traps
in the ITA Management station and generate E-Mails with that.....

And yes, you have the embedded Open Manage in the Dell Version of ESXi
which you can access per the Open Manage Webservice from remote. (if
anybody is interested, for how to enable OMSA on ESXi just send me an
e-mail and I will send you the description with some screenshots)
Officially the embedded OMSA is earliest supported with G11 systems -
like a R610 or R710.

But I don't know if the Health Agent is included in the embedded OMSA
which you need to get it shown as green, yellow or red in ITA.

I also read some documents where I found (or mean to understand) that
the Health State can only be checked with WS-MAN, instead of SNMP.
WS-MAN isn't supported for the ITA, only for the DELL Management Console
(also free but it must installed on a w2k3 (at least a vm) with MS IIS
running) but here I still don't have the time to test at the moment.

If someone has some more information I'm really interested in and it
would be great if it will be send to the whole list or me on CC.

Rgds,

Patrick

Dell Support Germany