Debian lenny on PE2950

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Tue Apr 27 23:34:48 CDT 2010

On 2010-04-28 04:27, Carlos Beltrame wrote:
> I'm a beginner with dell products and I have several douts about
> installing debian lenny (amd64) into a PE2950. It has 6 HDs, 2x73gb and
> 4x146gb. I know that this machine comes with PERC5 and when the
> instalation begins, the partition manager detects only one scsi with
> 73gb and another with 438gb, scsi too. Is it correct? How to detect each
> hd to create my own raid and lvm?
> I hope that my explanation was clearly. Best regards.

Obviously the PERC is set up with a RAID1 on the two 73GB disks and a
RAID5 on the four 146GB disks. This is hardware RAID. You don't need to
see the individual disks in Linux; the PERC is managing them for you and
giving you logical disks to work with.

If you want to change the hardware RAID config, go into the PERC BIOS
during boot (watch for the prompt). If you really want to see the
individual disks in Linux for some reason, you can delete the two
logical disks and configure each disk as its own RAID0.