Howto configure PERC for blind/vi

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 26 15:29:19 CDT 2010

Last week I asked if there was an accessible way to configure a PERC
(accessible to the blind that is). Well, I have managed to boot from a grml
CD, get speech started, and install the dellomsa debian port. To install the
dellomsa port, you'd have to update the sources.listt file, then do an
'apt-get update' and 'apt-get install dellomsa'.

I still intend to make a modified grml disk with dellomsa already installed.
But don't hold your breath. [Probably no other blind people on this list
anyway.)

So now I can do a 'omreport storage vdisk'. The results are below. It looks
as if Dell has already configured the RAID for me. My only remaining
question is whether the below configuration is optimal for a database
server. It says /dev/sda is RAID 1. That will be the OS. But /dev/sdb is
RAID10. People here were recommending RAID 6. Should I change it? What about
the other settings like read policy, write policy, and cache policy?

List of Virtual Disks in the System

Controller PERC 6/i Integrated (Embedded)
ID                  : 0
Status              : Ok
Name                : Virtual Disk 0
State               : Ready
Progress            : Not Applicable
Layout              : RAID-1
Size                : 136.13 GB (146163105792 bytes)
Device Name         : /dev/sda
Type                : SAS
Read Policy         : No Read Ahead
Write Policy        : Write Back
Cache Policy        : Not Applicable
Stripe Element Size : 64 KB
Disk Cache Policy   : Disabled

ID                  : 1
Status              : Ok
Name                : Virtual Disk 1
State               : Ready
Progress            : Not Applicable
Layout              : RAID-10
Size                : 272.25 GB (292326211584 bytes)
Device Name         : /dev/sdb