Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) with Perc 6/i and omconfig

Jeremy Smith jeremy at esilo.com
Thu Apr 22 15:55:19 CDT 2010

I am interested in performing various Online Capacity Expansions (OCE) with a
Perc 6/i and omconfig.

1. Converting a 5 drive RAID5 into a 6 drive RAID-5.
2. Converting a RAID-1 + Hot Spare to a RAID-5

According to Dell's PERC 6 documentation:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/RAID/PERC6/en/UG/HTML/chapterd.htm

...the PERC 6/i (among other controllers) is capable of this.

And according to Dell's omconfig documentation on OSMA 6.2.0:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/6.2/en/CLI/HTML/storage.htm

...omconfig is also capable of this.

My question is, has anyone ever actually successfully completed a RAID
expansion like this by adding an additional disk? If so, how can I do this
using omconfig?

I tried converting the RAID-1 + Hot Spare to a RAID-5 with:

 RAID-1 across disks 0:0:0 and 0:0:1
 Hot spare 0:0:2

[root at server ~]# omconfig storage vdisk action=reconfigure \
 controller=0 vdisk=0 raid=r5 pdisk=0:0:0,0:0:1,0:0:2

Cannot reconfigure to the given RAID level

[root at server ~]# omconfig storage pdisk action=assignglobalhotspare \
 controller=0 pdisk=0:0:2 assign=no

Operation disabled. Read, action=assignglobalhotspare assign=no
.Refer to the documentation for more information.

[root at server ~]# omconfig storage pdisk action=offline controller=0 \
 pdisk=0:0:2

Operation disabled. Read, action=offline
.Refer to the documentation for more information.

[root at server ~]# omconfig storage pdisk action=remove controller=0 pdisk=0:0:2

Operation not supported. Read, action=remove
Refer to the documentation for more information.

What the heck do I need to do to accomplish this???
An error code I could reference in the documentation would be helpful, Dell!

As for the RAID-5 to RAID-5 growing by 1 disk... I remember attempting this
before with no success (similar problem as seen above). I have not attempted
this again yet, but am planning to. Does the following look correct to
accomplish that?

 Existing RAID-5 across 0:0:0 through 1:0:4
 Fresh drive inserted as 1:0:5 (same capacity as other drives)

[root at myserver ~]# omreport storage pdisk controller=0 vdisk=0 | grep ^ID
ID                        : 0:0:0
ID                        : 0:0:1
ID                        : 0:0:2
ID                        : 0:0:3
ID                        : 1:0:4

[root at myserver ~]# omreport storage pdisk controller=0 | grep ^ID
ID                        : 0:0:0
ID                        : 0:0:1
ID                        : 0:0:2
ID                        : 0:0:3
ID                        : 1:0:4
ID                        : 1:0:5

[root at server ~]#  omconfig storage vdisk action=reconfigure \
 controller=0 vdisk=0 raid=r5 \ size=max \
 pdisk=0:0:0,0:0:1,0:0:2,0:0:3,1:0:4,1:0:5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

--
Jeremy Smith