Determine interface's MAC address prior to OS install?

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Wed Apr 21 20:48:33 CDT 2010

On 20/11/09 11:02, Robin Bowes wrote:
> On 20/11/09 10:38, Mark Whidby wrote:
>> Adam Nielsen wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd still prefer a sticker on the back of the case though :-)
>>
>> I think that's an option Dell provides. All out Dell desktop PCs come with
>> a sticker with service tag, model, MAC address, order number. Presumably
>> they can do the same with servers.
>
> That doesn't help when the servers are 3,000 miles away though. :)
>
> It would be nice if there were some way to get the MAC addresses through
> racadm - it would have saved me a couple of mornings of work recently.

I was recently faced with the prospect of commissioning another 42
servers and needed to get the MAC addresses of both NICs of all server
for cobbler installs. So, I re-visited this issue and found a way to do
it - racadm racdump

The following command prints the MAC addresses for the DRAC and all
embedded NICs:

$ racadm -r $DRAC -u root -p calvin racdump | \
egrep '^MAC Address|^NIC. Ethernet'
MAC Address             = a4:ba:db:11:38:2f
NIC1 Ethernet           = a4:ba:db:11:38:2d
NIC2 Ethernet           = a4:ba:db:11:38:2e
NIC3 Ethernet           = N/A
NIC4 Ethernet           = N/A

Yay!

R.