Expand nonraid to raid

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 04:03:40 CDT 2010

On 21 Apr 2010, at 09:41, Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:43:38AM +0200, Magnus Ringdahl wrote:
>
>> I have a PE1950 with sas 6iR controller with one hdd.
>> I wonder if its possible to add an identical hdd and create a raid-1
>> array, without reinstallation of OS?
>> Does it mean i have to clone the drive?
>
> As far as I know, this is not possible since any RAID setup will need
> some bytes of Metadata at the start or end of a partition/device.

I understood there was some 50 bytes or so in the first sector of the
hard-drive that was unallocated in the conventional disk layout, and
that RAID systems typically put their metadata in there.

Magnus: you may be able to determine this by creating a RAID1 and then
comparing an fdisk of it with the fdisk of the existing drive. If it
has the same number of bytes (or more) then you can boot from a LiveCD
and clone using dd (or GNU ddrescue).

Stroller.