Expand nonraid to raid

Tino Schwarze linux-poweredge.lists at tisc.de
Wed Apr 21 03:41:39 CDT 2010

Hi Magnus,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:43:38AM +0200, Magnus Ringdahl wrote:

> I have a PE1950 with sas 6iR controller with one hdd.
> I wonder if its possible to add an identical hdd and create a raid-1
> array, without reinstallation of OS?
> Does it mean i have to clone the drive?

As far as I know, this is not possible since any RAID setup will need
some bytes of Metadata at the start or end of a partition/device.

BTW: If the 6i/R is similar to the 5i/R, do not trust it's RAID
capabilities but use software RAID instead. This is just an el-cheapo
RAID controller without any of the advanced features of "real" hardware
RAID. We're suffering from an 5i/R on one of our machines - it's
performance is abysmal.

You don't need to reinstall if you boot from a CD, then setup software
RAID devices on the new disk (with one missing device), copy everything
over, then create the devices on the old disk and let the software RAID
do the sync. If you've got LVM in place, things will get easier.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de