Dell R710 + iDrac + ESX

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com
Wed Apr 21 00:03:42 CDT 2010

Hi Ruben,

	Is there a VLAN set for iDRAC Interface? There is a known issue
in older bnx2 driver's datapath fw ( It is fw that the driver loads to
the chip when it is loaded. ) module w.r.t VLAN. This issue occurs only
when the iDRAC interface is kept in shared mode & VLAN set for DRAC
interface.

	This issue is fixed in the asynchronous driver ( bnx2 driver
version from  1.9.26c onwards ) posted in VMware website. For more
details, please check Dell VMware ESX Release notes @ support.dell.com
(http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/eslvmwre/VS/AdditionalDo
cs/releasenotes/RN_4_1.pdf ) or http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1019513

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Ruben Laban
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:18 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Dell R710 + iDrac + ESX

Hello list,

I was wondering if anyone experienced similar issues to what we're
seeing and
perhaps even know of a solution/workaround.

When using the dedicated LOM for the iDrac, everything works just fine.
However, when using any of the shared LOM settings for the iDrac, the
iDrac
is reachable only until ESX(i) loads it's network driver. I'm guessing
this
is more of a VMware problem than Dell, but am curious nonetheless if
anyone
else has seen/solved this behaviour.

--
Regards,

Ruben Laban
Senior Systems and Network Administrator
ISM eCompany