linux boot CD

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 20 15:27:35 CDT 2010

I know there are people from Dell on this list. I was wondering if Dell
would be interested in including a kernel with speech enabled in their boot
CD. Grml does that and its actually fairly easy. You need to git-pull some
kernel patches.   This enables a blind user to enable speech in a command
line interface.

There is another screen reader, called "orca", for the graphical user
interface. Ubuntu includes orca on its live CDs.

In fact, maybe the kernels on the Dell boot CD are already speakup enabled.
Anybody know?