Very high load during mkfs on a new 1tb raid 1

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Tue Apr 20 12:35:51 CDT 2010

On 2010-04-20 16:59, Daniele Paoni wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 06:25 PM, Jefferson Ogata wrote:
>> On 2010-04-20 16:04, Daniele Paoni wrote:
>>> When I try to create the filesystem with mkfs the load on the server
>>> goes over 500 (i have then killed the mkfs) and all the processes are
>>> blocked in D state (the processes are apache + mysql running on another
>>> raid1 array)
>>>
>> Did you wait for the RAID1 to finish initializing?
>>
> Yes, the array status is ready.
> I have initialized it with the "fast initialize" command, could it cause
> the problem ?

Fast initialization just means it marks the array as ready and continues
scrubbing in the background. The scrubbing competes heavily for I/O.

Use MegaCLI to check initialization status, e.g. "MegaCLI -ldbi
-showprog -lall -aall".

Or look at the disks when you aren't doing anything. Are they both lit
up heavily?