Very high load during mkfs on a new 1tb raid 1

Daniele Paoni daniele-ml at libertyline.it
Tue Apr 20 11:04:28 CDT 2010

Hello

I just installed two new 1TB disks configured as RAID1 on a PE2950 with
PERC 6/i controller.
When I try to create the filesystem with mkfs the load on the server
goes over 500 (i have then killed the mkfs) and all the processes are
blocked in D state (the processes are apache + mysql running on another
raid1 array)

OS is CentOS4.8 with latest updates.
The firmware of the controller is updated to the latest version.
The disks are Seagate Barracuda ST31000640SS, I have already checked on
the firmware site and it says that the firmware is updated.

I have tried to search google for similar issues but I did not find
anything.

Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this ?

Thanks
Daniele