Hot disk change.

Jens_Heinz at Dell.com Jens_Heinz at Dell.com
Tue Apr 20 10:37:14 CDT 2010

Jason is right. Which partition needs to be expanded? You will have trouble expanding everything else then /var.
Considering this, you will have to sort out some strategy to move only your data to new partitions not the whole HDD using dd.

Jens.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Jason Slagle
Sent: 20 April 2010 17:19
To: Fabio Catunda
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Hot disk change.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Fabio Catunda wrote:

> Tino and Jens,
>
> # fdisk -l (with comments about what is what)
> /dev/sda1               1         243     1951866   82  Linux swap / Solaris
> (SWAP)
> /dev/sda2   *         244         729     3903795   83  Linux (/boot)
> /dev/sda3             730        3161    19535040   83  Linux (/)
> /dev/sda4            3162       30318   218138602+  83  Linux (/var)
>
> I'm not that worried with the partition table because I can just
> delete the partition, create it again with the new size and use
> resize2fs to resize the file system. Usually I do that with virtual
> machines and it works, shouldn't be different with a real hardware, right!?
>
> I'm really worried to know it Linux would be able to read the old disk
> connected on a different SATA port.
>
> Cupertino, I got worried with your solution because I don't know is I
> can expand the virtual disk  and things like that, I don't have much
> expertise with RAID controllers. And if something goes wrong (read: if
> I make something wrong), I will loose everything. I do have backup and
> everything, but I prefer a short downtime.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Fábio Catunda.

It'll work if you're trying to expand /var, but that's it.

You need to grow the RAID set (I'm shocked that the Perc's don't have OCE.
Even cheap highpoint raid controllers do).

Once that's done you can likely use gparted or something from a livecd to do the rest.

This is why I use LVM :)

Jason

--
Jason Slagle - RHCE5, VCP4