Hot disk change.

Jens_Heinz at Dell.com Jens_Heinz at Dell.com
Tue Apr 20 10:20:43 CDT 2010

Perc5/6 are using DDF which is located at the end of a drive.

So using it on a regular SATA controller shouldn't be the problem, though I haven't tried myself yet.

But a dd will copy that DDF data as well and might give you trouble to change your partition layout.

Jens.

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Fabio Catunda
Sent: 20 April 2010 17:10
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Hot disk change.

Tino and Jens,

# fdisk -l (with comments about what is what)
/dev/sda1               1         243     1951866   82  Linux swap / Solaris (SWAP)
/dev/sda2   *         244         729     3903795   83  Linux (/boot)
/dev/sda3             730        3161    19535040   83  Linux (/)
/dev/sda4            3162       30318   218138602+  83  Linux (/var)

I'm not that worried with the partition table because I can just delete the partition, create it again with the new size and use resize2fs to resize the file system. Usually I do that with virtual machines and it works, shouldn't be different with a real hardware, right!?

I'm really worried to know it Linux would be able to read the old disk connected on a different SATA port.

Cupertino, I got worried with your solution because I don't know is I can expand the virtual disk  and things like that, I don't have much expertise with RAID controllers. And if something goes wrong (read: if I make something wrong), I will loose everything. I do have backup and everything, but I prefer a short downtime.

Thanks again.

Fábio Catunda.

Tino Schwarze wrote:

Hi Fabio,

do you have some kind of LVM or other means of volume management in
place? What's your partition setup like? Please post output of
df -h.

Tino.