Thermal issues with SC1435 servers??

Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com
Mon Apr 19 14:53:21 CDT 2010

Chris,
I've seen other HPC customers who have had thermal issues, especially with systems in the top of the rack.  If you have any leakage of air from the hot aisle into the cold aisle, it would be possible the inlet (ambient) temperature for a system could be higher than you realize.  I don't have a 1435 and don't have the specs in front of me, but I would think 71F is within the operating range of the system.  If not, it is barely outside the operating range.  I believe the 1435 has a Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) that records hardware events into the System Event Log (SEL).  You should be able to view the SEL during POST by pressing CTRL-E.  You can also view the SEL through IPMI Tool or OMSA.  I would check the SEL for any events, especially for thermal sensors.

Wayne Weilnau
Systems Management Technologist
Dell | OpenManage Software Development

Confidentiality Notice | This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Cris Rhea
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:35 PM
To: Howard, Chris
Cc: Cris Rhea; linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Thermal issues with SC1435 servers??

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 01:05:52PM -0600, Howard, Chris wrote:

> I assume you have ruled out some kind of marginal power
> situation in the machine room?

Good thought, but unlikely here... whole machine room is on a UPS
(which seems happy and has no events).

While these machines are mostly in one rack, that rack has 8
PDUs on separate circuits.  (All of the SC1435s are running on 120V,
single phase from a 208V/3 phase distribution system). Machines with
issues are spread out across the PDUs (and multiple phases).

I'm more concerned/thinking that with 70-71 degree F intake air,
the SC1435 can't deal with running "flat out" in an HPC environment.

Thanks!

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility