Hot disk change.

Andy Krantz andyk at digitalcyclone.com
Mon Apr 19 12:14:57 CDT 2010

I've done something very similar on a 2950 with the same PERC 5/i.

I replaced 6 drives in a RAID5 array one at a time and let each rebuild (5
array disks + hotspare).
You will probably want to take each disk offline in OMSA rather than just
pulling them abruptly.
When I was done I was able to create a second Virtual Disk (RAID5 array) in
OMSA (I used web interface).

You probably won't be able to grow your current virtual disk (I couldn't
with RAID5 but I haven't tried RAID1)...
But at least you can move /home or whatever partition(s) needs more space to
the new VirtualDisk.

As far as trusting PERC to rebuild... I'd definitely make a backup first but
if you do it right you should be fine :)

-Andy