Adding 3rd Party RAID card halts Linux boot

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Sun Apr 18 19:41:34 CDT 2010

> We hadn't begun really using the volume yet when I rebooted the machine
> a few days later for a memory upgrade and it hung on boot at the
> following screen:
>
>       Booting 'CentOS (2.6.18-164.11.1.el5)'
>

>     root (hd0,0)
>
>      Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 ro root = /dev/obnas/root
>
>        [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1d6b1c]
>
>     initrd /initrd-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.img
>
>        [Linux-initrd @ 0x37cb5000, 0x33a982 bytes]

These are GRUB messages, the fact they stop here means the Linux kernel
hasn't begun to load yet (so modules, LVM config, etc. won't help.)  The
which indicates it has been successfully loaded off the disk.

At this point (AFAIK) GRUB is using BIOS calls to load data off the
disk, so it's possible the card's BIOS is interfering.  If you've
disabled the BIOS don't forget that your disk order might change
(although as you're using hd0 that seems unlikely.)  But as you got
errors about unknown filesystems you may have to tell GRUB to use a
different disk anyway.

At any rate it seems to be a problem with GRUB being unable to load the
kernel off the disk by using BIOS calls.

Cheers,
Adam.